Two Bags

For those of you who also know me over on Facebook, you are already aware that we lost our beloved Chocolate lab, Montana, to cancer on Friday.  She was pretty old, 12 or 13 as near as we know, and had arthritis really bad.  So we took her in to have her liver checked with an ultrasound to make sure the pain meds were not causing liver problems.

We knew there was a problem when the lab tech said let me go get the doctor to come talk to you.  Anyway, there were tumors all over her liver, in her lungs, and in her pancreas.

So, we brought her home and spent the next couple of weeks spoiling her horribly.  She went downhill very fast, losing 15 pounds in that short time.  When she was having trouble getting up and breathing hard, it was time for that final trip to the vet.

Here are the pictures I shared on Facebook:

You came to us late in your life, a well behaved lady.

With a love for tennis balls.

And a love for water and eating grass.

You took your job as Skylers buddy seriously.

You loved to help.


You didn't complain (much) when we made fun of your lack of swimming ability!

You were always ready to go for a ride to the dog park.

Towards the end it was too hard to sit up though...

We were happy to spoil you rotten.

You were a good couch-mate.

Your favorite exercise was mommy doing situps.

Goodbye my friend, I loved you a lot.


Honestly, I held it together pretty well throughout this whole time.  I knew we gave her a good life, and that it was time for her to go.  It was just the right decision, so I was good with it.

Then this morning, at the dog park, Yordi ran up to another Chocolate lab wagging his tale, then turned and walked away when he saw it wasn't her.

That chipped at the armor a bit.

Then he pooped and I went to pick it up, I reached into my pocket and pulled out two bags.  I realized I didn't need two bags anymore, and that was what pushed me over the edge.  I knelt there petting Yordi and crying with my stupid poop bags in hand.

Something as silly as two bags in hand finally caved me in.

Comments

  1. Dislike. Wait, wrong place.

    Sorry about your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes its those little things that trigger it just when you think you were doing okay. I certainly wish you all the best, I understand the feeling, and I'm so sorry for the pain. She knew, and still now knows nothing but love because of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sha baby. You were a good doggie daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We try to be strong but it's always the little things that get to us. For me it's the last picture of our cat.

    RIP Montana.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:25 AM

    Oh, sorry to hear that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man... :( Today's been a shitty day for me but less shitty than your last few. Sorry to hear you lost your canine friend, it's horrible. Even when you know you did all you could do, it still hurts like a fucker. Pardon my French. I have been there. Not fun.

    Hope you feel better soon.

    I have to now go reapply my eyeliner. Sniff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this post made me cry
    I'm so sorry Chris
    =(

    RIP Montana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our pets are very much a part of the family, and losing them hurts like Hell. Sounds like you gave him a great life. Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:32 AM

    My thoughts are with you and your family. Loosing a pet is always the shittiest of shitty things. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. (((hugs))) I'm so sorry for your loss. Pet's lives are so short compared to our own, it's amazing what a huge impact they have in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry Chris...

    I'm looking down that road right now with my pug.

    And it's looking back at me.Hugs to you and yours..

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I was 17 we lost one of our dogs, Pokey. We took our other dog, Snuggles, to the high school field for a walk and she did the same thing as Yordi, she ran up to another white dog with her tail wagging, thinking it was him.

    *sniffle*

    When she realized it wasn't, she came back to us looking confused and started looking around, all alert, for Pokey, like she was sure he had to be there somewhere. It was more than I could take. I just stood there bawling my face off in my school's football field.

    :-(

    I'm so sorry, SkyDad. Montana sounds like such a wonderful furry friend. Those pictures of her are truly lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry for your loss. She was a beautiful dog, and you were worthy of her love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So, so sorry to hear it. I love labs, but they do get tumors for some reason. hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Losses are painful.

    I'm sorry for yours...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Photo Challenge, Day 8. The final day.

Handicapped Assessable

Goodbye old friend. Hootie: 1997-2009