Aug 19, 2007

Book recomendation

The recent events in the news that have happened in Utah at the Coal mine got me thinking about a book I read quite awhile ago. It's called Rocket Boys, and is written by Homer Hickam, who grew up in Coalwood West Virginia in a mining town. Homer went on to become a NASA engineer, and his story of growing up in poverty, where you really did owe your soul to the company store is an amazing read. His book became a movie called October Sky, which was pretty good in it's own right, but as most movies doesn't quite live up to the novel.

Check out Homer Hickams website and read a bit more about him and the rocket boys.

6 comments:

  1. I've actually had that book on my reading list since seeing October Sky, with the assumption that the book, like you say, is better than the movie-- and it was a pretty good movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, that sounds good. I didn't see the movie, and never even knew it was based on a real person. I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You won't be disappointed, it is a tremendous read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw that movie, it was great.

    I feel so sorry for the Utah folks. That's devastating. They need to come up with better rescue plans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "already our minds are beginning to work as one!"

    ---Puss in Boots

    I was JUST READING THAT book, or starting to, the other day waiting for a ride after school closed. It was hot, it was bright, it was one of the last days of summer. it was grand (it is also MISSING!!)

    i got it from the art teacher I used to work with who highly recommended it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teri: Coal mines are the worst. I worked in a mine for 9 months mining Molybdenum here in Colorado. It was pretty safe, but still felt weird now and then.

    I know you will like it BO!

    ReplyDelete